Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Double Dose of Charity

The longer I tweet, post Facebook status updates, and blog, the more I seem to be slowly discovering and getting involved with the St. Louis community. Doing so has truly been one of the highlights of my job thus far.

In the past month, I rounded up several of my fellow Lou Fusz employees to take part in the Epilepsy Foundation's Seize the Day race. We had agreed to be a company sponsor for the event after meeting Becky and Deane, the ladies in charge of organizing the event. Seeing their grandson Cameron, who has epilepsy, really touched us, and motivated us to get involved. It was then that I thought to myself, "why not take it one step further?" 
I lent my knowledge and social media prowess to the gals and helped them in raising awareness. In the end, the race generated over $60,000, and I'm happy to report that all of our staff managed to finish the 3.1 mile trek through Kirkwood! Even more amazing, some of the guys immediately showered and went straight to work after the race (I on the other hand, hung around to meet Fred Bird and drink as much bottled water as I could).

Team Fusz, about 5 minutes before the ran began. Pat decided to show off the guns and forgo the race shirt...

The day before the race, another non-profit, Haven House St. Louis, asked for our help in generating votes for their entry in Toyota's 100 Cars for Good program. If you've never heard of the program, it's a great initiative on Toyota's part. They ask non-profits around the country to nominate themselves each year, and have the public vote on which groups should receive a Toyota vehicle to benefit their cause. I rallied around our office (and on our social sites, of course) to garner as many votes as possible. In the end, Haven House was declared a winner! I'm looking forward to seeing how the Toyota Sienna Mobility they chose will impact their ability to provide reliable, safe transportation for the people they help.







So what's next? Only time will tell. But I'm always looking for great opportunities to present to my GM, ones that show support for great causes in St. Louis or even in the community. If you know of such one, you're more than welcome to reach out to me and share your story. Follow me on Twitter at @Erocdotusa or @LouFuszToyota

No comments:

Post a Comment